We accept a limited number of students per cohort of UX Academy, and evaluate applicants based on the following prerequisites:
- A foundational level of visual design experience, demonstrated through samples of your work
- Strong English language skills
- A minimum weekly time commitment, depending on your track
- Timely completion of any relevant preliminary course
- Keen motivation and fit for the program, based on communication with the Designlab team
Foundational Design Experience
Typically, applicants meet these requirements by taking UXA Foundations and demonstrating expertise in the final project of this preliminary course. Please note however, completion of this prerequisite course does not guarantee admission to our UX Academy program.
All students who enter into UX Academy must pass a skills assessment, which determines whether or not applicants have the foundational skills necessary to begin the program.
We require that if you have previous design experience, you are able to provide:
- A professional portfolio containing 1 desktop size page and 3 mobile screens created within the last two years
- A short essay on why you’re interested in joining UX Academy
If you would prefer to create 1x desktop size page and 3x mobile screens from a design brief, please see here. This brief is designed as a 10-hour design challenge, but may take fewer than 10 hours.
The above will be evaluated to determine whether you can skip Foundations and enter directly into UX Academy.
Evaluation of Design Work
All design work submissions should demonstrate understanding of UI principles, and will be evaluated and scored on the principles below:
- Graphical Elements
One good thing to note is that applicants may only apply to the same cohort twice. If you are unable to gain entry into UX Academy thereafter, you may apply again next month! However, priority in each cohort will be given to first-time applicants.
English Language Proficiency
Clear and effortless communication between students and mentors is a vital part of the UX Academy experience. We require all students to have a minimum CEFR level of C1 or greater.
If you are not sure of your fluency level, please take the free assessment test here for both Business and General English.
Timely completion of any relevant preliminary course
If you take a course with Designlab prior to applying for UX Academy (UXA Foundations for example), your progression through this preliminary course will be taken into consideration during the application review process. You will need to ensure you:
- Complete the course within the allocated time frame.
- Attend no less than five mentorship sessions (with none being forfeited).
- Visibly show you can take mentor feedback on board and iterate through multiple versions of your project pieces.
Motivation and fit for the UX Academy program
We're committed to creating a community of respect & inclusivity here at Designlab, and this is part of our assessment in determining whether you’re a good fit for the way our program works and the wider UX Academy community.
While we’re always happy to receive constructive feedback from students throughout their learning journey, we do expect communications to be respectful regardless of who’s on the receiving end.
This will be assessed based on:
- Your communication with the Designlab team via email and phone.
- The way you communicate with your mentor during any short courses you take with us.
- Interactions you have with other students, alumni, and members of the wider Designlab community.
The UX Academy program has the overall goal to help students create a professional UX/UI portfolio and land a job in the industry, and it would be a disservice to an applicant if we were to admit them into UX Academy when we truly believe the program and the community around it was not a good fit for them based on the criteria above.
Still have questions? Here are some next steps!
Read more about UX Academy and confirm the program fits your goals.
Book an admissions call.
Attend our next webinar.